The student news site of Green Mountain High School

New Movies? Yes Please

Jolene Janus, Reporter

Winter is coming. And so are the releases of long-awaited movies. Iain Kent explains that because of the rapidly approaching award ceremonies, all directors are basically, “Yeah, we ll make cinematic masterpieces!” Hence why most of our favorite movies come out during the winter holidays.

First there’s Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the side-story to the beloved series of Harry Potter. It follows the journey of Newt Scamander as he and his magical suitcase travel from Europe to America to return a magical creature previously and unwillingly taken. When his suitcase is mixed up with a muggle’s and a few creatures are released, he must not only find his creatures and return the American one, but help stop a dark magical force wreaking havoc on the country. Set in the 1920’s, the magic world of Harry Potter moves to America in this thrilling and heart-warming movie. The movie was released the 18th of this month.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. It’s the “gritty Star Wars”, according to Iain Kent, one giving viewers the much-needed respite from the usual movies and plot. Kyra Holtan, an avid fan of Star Wars joked, “I’m super stoked for that… for Han Solo.” “For Han Solo”, Kent agreed. Rogue one is the risky journey of a rag-tag group of heroes from the Rebellion and their mission to filch the Death Star s plans. Sure to be packed with action, humor, and a story of sacrifice, this longawaited movie comes to theatres December 16th.

Dr. Strange is the anticipated mix “between Inception and Matrix and Sherlock,” according to Holtan. Kent agreed, adding, “And it s all in Marvel.” The story begins when Dr. Strange, a neurosurgeon, loses his ability of his hands in a car accident. With nowhere else to turn, he turns to a mysterious enclave for help, only to find himself swept up in a battle against dark forces. He must make the choice to become a powerful sorcerer and help protect everything humanity holds dear in reality or return to his life. “It was supposed to be really good,” Kent says. “It is,” Alex Ubenhagen agreed. This amazing cinematic and mind-bending work of art was set to come out November 4th this year.

Finally, Assassin’s Creed: the movie following the release of the beloved games. This story follows the journey of Callum Lynch as he travels back to Spain in the 15th century in his mind through the use of the animus, which unlocks his genetic memories . This allows him to experience his ancestor’s memories and adventures. However, there isn’t as much excitement about this movie. Both the music and animus are different than the game’s, and so hopes are rather low. This movie is set to be released December 21st .