The student news site of Green Mountain High School

We Are Here and We Will Be Heard

Women's March of 2017 Draws Millions of Supporters

Raymie Fotherby

Raymie Fotherby

Jolene Janus, Staff Reporter

“Love not hate makes America great.”

“A woman’s place is in the resistance.”

“We the resilient.”

“Women’s rights are human rights.”

“I am no longer accepting the things I can’t change. I am changing the things I can’t accept. – Angela Davis.”

“We the people.”

“Love is love.”

“Build bridges not walls.”

“Respect my existence or expect my resistance.”

“Clip clop Nazis must stop.”

These were just a few of the signs from the Women’s March that occurred January 21st. There were thousands, millions of other signs wielded by protesters, crying out against the discrimination of women, LGBTQ+ members, immigrants, people of color, people of diversity, and of course, against the plain pain of still having to protest this in the 21st century.

That cold day, millions of people around the world marched in protest. America, England, Australia, France, Mexico, Germany, and so many more countries gathered to the call. Millions of people – women, men, kids, grandparents, family dogs, everyone in between – came to protest recent and ongoing discriminations. Yes, the day might have been cold (it was below freezing when the march in Denver began), but it didn’t stop anyone from coming. Instead, the streets filled with swirls of color, blocks of pink, and the signs people held. People packed in to listen to the influential speakers and their inspiring messages and histories. Excited, amped up chants of “This is what a democracy looks like!” echoed off the buildings. Grins and smiles shone on everyone’s faces. Pink ‘cat’ hats were worn proudly. Marches with too many people marched anyways, adamant to make their voices heard. And oh yeah, the voices were heard.

It was the largest protest in the history of the US and the world.

So many people came that media reports still aren’t sure whether the number of protesters was over three million or four million. Over a million people swamped Washington, D.C., alone. Our own march in Denver was expected to only draw about 40,000 people.

It drew 200,000.

In Denver, there wasn’t much of a crowd around the march because almost everybody was in the march. As unification goes, this was an impressive show of unity.

Raymie Fotherby joined the march in Denver as her mother joined the one in Washington D.C. She was armed with the signs “A woman’s place is in the Resistance,” and “Heal the Earth, Heal our Future, Stop Global Warming.”

She grinned as she talked about the march; “It was really incredible because it got to draw like-minded people together to stand for something. The energy was really great. The speakers we listened to were really inspiring. [They] had the message of unification against a common enemy and bonding together.”

She added that “I hope that more marches come in the future so we can show the world that we, the resistance, will not be squashed.”