The student news site of Green Mountain High School

Student Senate Ending?

There's going to be some changes in student senate next year.

Here is are awesome school senate.

Here is are awesome school senate.

Aubre Martin

Aubre Martin

Here is are awesome school senate.

Ali'a Keliiholokai, Staff Reporter

Some changes are to be expected in this upcoming semester, with the reorganization of our school’s leadership clubs and organizations. This no doubt means that there are going to be a few differences for the student body next year.

In years past, senate had it’s own period. A solid 45 minutes a day. This school year 15 minutes were docked as it was moved to advise. With advisement going away next year, questions arose about what the fate of student senate would be.

There was also the issue of other leadership clubs and organizations wanting to help out with a more meaningful place in the school community. This year you might have noticed Poms and Cheer decorating the commons and assigning spirit days to give the school the school spirit that it needed during Homecoming and Winterfest. That was just a small part of the puzzle that had recently been created. At the end of the day, the goal for all students, and staff, to have a greater experience.

After a lot of discussion, negotiating, and renegotiating, with administration, a compromise managed to be worked out. A newly formed ‘student council’ was formed. This new student council would be formed by delegates from many of the clubs and organizations from all around the school, promoting communication and a heightened sense of community between everyone. It would also allow other clubs to bounce ideas off of each other, something that could be greatly appreciated and valuable.

“Senate has been an amazing support system, so yes I will miss the old senate. I do feel like this opportunity will move senate forward and allow it to be something greater.” Said Devyn Schneider, Student Body Vice President. When asked about possible concerns of the new student council, she said, ”Accountability will be hard to do. I’m also worried that people may no longer join these activities because of their new found responsibilities. “ The student body as a whole will have to keep an eye on the new organization as its taking its baby-steps.

So what of senate? Well, it appears that the senate as we know it is going to be divided by two. The first organization will take on most of senate’s event responsibilities. They will be known as the ‘EPC’ or ‘Event Planning Committee.’ They’ll be in charge of events like homecoming and prom. The second organization will be called ‘Jeffco Student Voice.’ They’ll be in charge of promoting diversity and going to seminars promoting leadership, like the Cherry Creek Diversity Conference.

So overall, it doesn’t seem like student senate is ending, but instead evolving into something more. It appears that the new Student Council, EPC, and Jeffco Student Voice are all going to do nothing but try and help the student body. We will remain hopeful and look forward to what’s coming up for the student body.”I feel like the changes are moving us towards something that will work better for everyone involved.” Said Schneider,” I also believe that this is a great way to connect all the clubs and activities in the school.”

Needless to say, we’ll certainly be keeping up with this story for any future updates.