The student news site of Green Mountain High School

Which song will win this years Oscar?

Emily Hansen

There are five song’s running this year to get an oscar.  These songs are: “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)”and “City Of Stars”from La La Land(Music by Justin Hurwitz; Lyric by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul). “La La Land” has landed on the Lido as the 73rd Venice Film Festival of 2017 is officially underway. The film has dazzled critics and made an undeniable splash as an awards season prospect, creatively dabbling in the musical genre to tell a story of dreamers dreaming and the electricity that comes from chasing what makes you happy.

The second song is“Can’t Stop The Feeling” from Trolls(Music and Lyric by Justin Timberlake, Max Martin and Karl Johan Schuster), trolls the movie is about how for 20 years, the music-loving Trolls have hidden from their enemies, the ogre-like Bergens who feast on Trolls in a yearly festival. When the gloomy Bergens uncover their tiny prey, it is up to happy-go-lucky Troll princess Poppy and her grumpy cohort Branch to rescue their friends and help the Bergens find happiness. If  “Can’t Stop The Feeling” wins the Oscar then it will be the first Academy Award for Justin Timberlake, Max Martin and Karl Johan Schuster.

The next song is “The Empty Chair” from Jim: The James Foley Story(Music and Lyric by J. Ralph and Sting), Jim: The James Foley Story is about American photographer James Foley specialized in conflict journalism, documenting war-torn areas such as Libya and Syria. A restless, driven man who was nonetheless devoted to his family, and a compassionate professional dedicated to his work, Jim was captured by ISIS in 2012 and held in captivity for almost two years before being beheaded by the terrorist organization.

Last but not least is “How Far I’ll Go” from Moana (Music and Lyric by Lin-Manuel Miranda). Moana is a Teenage girl who has always felt drawn to the ocean, despite her father’s dictate that no one on their Polynesian island is to go beyond its encircling reef. When danger threatens her home, Moana searches for Maui, a mischievous demigod, who becomes an unlikely ally as she matures into the hero her people need.

While interviewing Mrs. Amberg we asked her which song would most likely win the oscar this year. She had chosen between the two la la land songs and Moana, but the song she chose overall was how far I’ll go from Moana. The reason why she had chosen that song was because she wants Lin Manuel Miranda to get an E.G.O.T. “Mrs. Amberg what is an E.G.O.T.?” “An e.g.o.t is Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony”. So Mrs. Amberg wants The Musical “Hammilton” to be able to get all the awards it could get.

The song that won the Oscar for 2017 is “City Of Stars”from La La Land.