The student news site of Green Mountain High School

Who Does Homecoming Mean More To?

Aubree Martin

Aubree Martin

Jolene Janus

Seniors in high school …well, actually, all upperclassmen if they’re being realistic, may remember the faintest thought of what their freshman homecoming was like. Maybe for one it was marching in the parade, tossing candy to the kids on the sides. Maybe it was the flashing lights and pounding music of the dance. Maybe it was screaming their selves hoarse at the game. But with everything they’re expected to remember and everything they’ve experienced in the three years, perceptions change. People change. Meanings change. And so does homecoming.

One of the most exciting events for any freshman popping straight out of middle school will always be the week of homecoming. It’s new, it’s different, it’s high school! It’s a break in the monotony of work, the new freshman having discovered that despite being high school, it’s actually still school. But homecoming…ha, that’s another story. When asked what she thought homecoming would be like, freshman Kasey Klocek replied, “I heard it’s the one dance you shouldn’t miss.” Freshman Kira Beck said something similar, adding, “A lot of grinding,” to the list of what they expect.

But the dance wasn’t what they were most looking forwards to. When asked about the game, Beck replied, “I’m so excited for it. It’s what I’m most excited for.”

On the contrary, seniors and other upperclassmen know what to expect, having been through this for two or three years already. They’re excited because they know what’s coming and they’re already planning everything weeks in advance. (Or procrastinating until the night-of the game or dance, but that’s just as exciting, right?) Junior Alex Telles remarked that the dance “means letting go, being stress free, and having fun.” Sara Nikont, junior, also enjoys the dances, noting that she wishes there would be a barn-dance themed one. “I would teach the whole school how to swing dance,” she swore.

They were pumped for the game and the parade, and Telles believes that the parade is a great tradition, adding that “It brings us together as a family.”

However, the most notable difference in attitude towards the week of homecoming was about Spirit Days. When asked what he thought about them, he answered, “It’s a fun tradition and I try to take part.” But on the other hand, the freshmen appeared surprised by the lack of spirit during Spirit Days. Klocek pointed out, “Why is ski bum day in such a hot place? We’re not gonna wear it if it’s hot.”

Although students may have realized it or not, their views change over the school years. Apparently, seniors and upperclassmen take more part in the pride of their school and the festivities while freshman tend to sit back to test the waters. Homecoming gains more meaning, a deeper meaning for those who have been a part of the festivities and parties of the school time and time again with their friends (who are just as much a part of homecoming as any of the events). So seniors, enjoy the last dances with all your pride, and freshman, don’t be scared to enjoy the festivities.