The student news site of Green Mountain High School

Behind the Scenes with “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat”

Brendan Jarrett (Left) plays the role of Pharaoh, while

Brendan Jarrett (Left) plays the role of Pharaoh, while "Sam Meyer" (Right) plays the lead role of "Joseph"

Joshua Triplett

Joshua Triplett

Joshua Triplett, Staff Reporter

Every year, the theater department holds a production in the fall and the spring. The spring musical this coming year is called “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat”. It’s a musical based on the “coat of many colors” story from the book “Genesis” in the Bible. Each year, a lot of people show up to see the musical that the theater department has put on. However, very few people get to know how much work it actually takes to put on a production on this scale. The “Stagecraft” class 5th period, as well as the volunteer crew after school builds the entire set in a few short weeks. A lot of hidden talent goes on and isn’t seen by the naked eye.

One of the most underappreciated groups in any production, whether it’s a musical at GMHS, a concert at Red Rocks, or a TV show, is the crew.  From setting up microphones, lights, and building sets, the crew makes sure the show goes off without a hitch. Yet, most of the time, the average audience member forgets they’re even there, focusing entirely on the actors. Stagecraft will have been working on the stage for about 6 weeks by the time the show comes out, and it is not a very easy job. Many students were tasked with building flats and platforms while others painted or decorated props. When the finished project is seen on stage, it may be easy to under estimate how many steps go into each simple thing. One platform is measured, pieced together (sometimes more than once), tested, dutchmaned, painted multiple coats, and possibly decorated over that too. This was done over and over again until the entire set was built. Not only that, but the materials were purchased with a limited budget, consisting entirely of tax-deductible donations. This made certain things harder than they normally would be, but seeing the finished stage makes it all worth it.

Actors spend months working and memorizing lines to perform for six shows. It takes a lot of work to memorize lines, and an actor forgetting what they have to say while performing is a panic-inducing nightmare.  Sam Meyer, who plays the lead role of “Joseph”, was asked just how many hours of work goes into the production in rehearsals alone. “It’s probably been, from the first day of auditions, we’ve probably put in anywhere from 50 to… like, 50 to 70 hours”, Meyer stated, “As stressful as it is, in the end, it’s just really enjoyable. It’s definitely exhausting. […] It’s very exciting and fun but it’s definitely tiring. Being on stage is just really energizing”. This was shown not only during the finished product of the show, but also in the rehearsals, where every actor put in maximum effort in to make sure the production reached it’s full potential. This was shown most evidently on closing night, February 25th, where nearly all the actors and crew could be seen backstage, hugging it out and crying. The months of work cultivated itself into that moment, and Green Mountain couldn’t be more proud.