The student news site of Green Mountain High School

Day Without Hate

Emily Hansen

Day Without Hate is a student led, grassroots organization that promotes nonviolence, unity, and respect in our schools. After the shootings at Virginia Tech in 2007, students at Standley Lake High School asked their classmates to wear white in order to show a commitment and trust in each other to make their school a safer place. The day was an overwhelming success.

Since then, students across Colorado and the nation have taken this incredibly positive day into their communities to say that we will not tolerate violence or hate.

A Day Without Hate is more than just one day where we are nice to each other in the hallways.  It is more than just twenty four hours where peace is our purpose.  When we wear white on the last Friday in April, we are announcing to the world our intentions to not be just anti-violence, but pro-peace.  One Day Without Hate turns into many lives full of peace.

There are many places that are holding Day Without Hate activities that are fun for the students or others like how Jefferson County Stadium on April 25th which is holding a rally open to all high school students in the state of Colorado.  At the rally, all the students come together to promote peace and friendship with a celebration that includes fireworks, the Flobot, and To Write Love on Her Arms. Other schools are going to do activities that they think would do well at their place. Joseph says,“ Though it is kind of cool to have a day without hate it should be something that we do everyday.”

At our school they have set off with this mission in mind. They ask the entire school to wear a white shirt as a symbol of unity behind the cause. Why white? Because many thought most people probably had a white shirt in their closet. Then, they set off spreading their message to their friends and classmates: for one day, be nice to each other.

There are many ways that people can enhance the meaning of Day Without Hate. There is a challenge which is the Passing Period Challenges were Right before the bell rings for each class, get on the school intercom and challenge people to do something peaceful during passing period – say hello to five people you don’t know, give three people a hug, high five everyone you see, etc. Another Idea to do at school is where we find a unique hashtag to our school. Where you send the pictures you take to see what people do.

Green Mountain students let’s make our school better and unite to be one when Day Without Hate rolls around, and maybe continue to be friends with everyone everyday.