The student news site of Green Mountain High School

The Fragile School

Hunter Grogan, Staff Reporter

“Our foundation, where the math and science hall are, is literally sliding down the hill,”  states Colleen Owens, principal of Green Mountain High School.

Infrastructure is one of the most important parts of school it provides safety and security, which is why it may be even more surprising to hear that our infrastructure is falling apart.

Principal Owens lists off a myriad of problems that our school is currently facing such as that of a growing rodent issue, leaks in the roof, a tennis court that is falling off the side of the hill, and forty-year-old wiring that is under great stress due to recent implementation of the “bring your own device” policy.  

However, the part of the school that ha seen the most damage is our athletic department. According to Owens our school is “severely lacking in the equity of our athletics.”

Before, 3A and 3B was denied (a measure to push more funding for academic programs) in Jefferson County, Owens states that GMHS was on the list to have a new gym rolled into the school, the forty-year-old locker rooms would have been updated, and the school would have gotten a track, even a new school was in the works (and with , but as 3A and 3B did not pass, that is no longer a possibility.

Earlier this school year, the faucets in the girl’s varsity locker room, says Owens, the water had been contaminated with lead. After the lead scare, a filter was placed in the school’s pipes as to assist with the problem. However, the problem aligns with there being lead in the pipes in the first place, especially in a school where a parent typically believes their child should be safe.

Eric Linderman, the facility manager, counters that argument, though.“To be honest, our building is in pretty good shape,” says Linnderman. “[The building is] 60+ years old.”

Linderman does agree with Principal Owens on the account of 3A and 3B, though.

“That not passing was a huge hit to us…” entails Linderman.  

In comparison to the other new schools in our district, new schools – who have new furniture and computers, on the basis of just being a new school, while our computers are four years at their youngest. It’s the duty of the people to provide for the public good of our schools, but if we continue to just ignore the needs of our older school, then what are we saying to the student inside those schools?