The student news site of Green Mountain High School

Should cellular devices be used for surveillance purpose within american borders?

Photo by Aaron Chouaf

Photo by Aaron Chouaf

Emily Hansen, Staff Reporter

A.E. Samaan an investigative historian, author, designer, and photographer said “Big Government’ is a lot less like a ‘Big Brother’, and a lot more like a mother-in-law.” Over the years, technology has advanced in so many ways, but is the united states government interfering with technology to use it as surveillance on people? In my life, I have a phone where I am able to go on the internet and take pictures all time like what most people in America are able to do now. It is important to know how much privacy you have on cellular devices, what has been going on with the FBI or the government on privacy of a cellular device, and what is there justification of using cellular devices as a surveillance purpose.

The U.S Government is able to do many things on our own personal devices than you think. On aclu.org (aclu=American Civil Liberties Union) they say “Just six weeks after the September 11 attacks, a panicked Congress passed the “USA/Patriot Act,” an overnight revision of the nation’s surveillance laws that vastly expanded the government’s authority to spy on its own citizens, while simultaneously reducing checks and balances on those powers like judicial oversight, public accountability, and the ability to challenge government searches in court.” the government is able to see more than ever. They have now the right to to use the cellular devices as surveillance without your permission because the government has passed the law so they have access whenever they want to or if they see any sign of threatened that people are talking on the phone, text, picture, whatever they can use it.

On June 7, of 2013, president Obama gave a speech on how they were not listening. He says””Nobody is listening to your telephone calls,” as he tried to reassure Americans who have had to digest a dizzying array of revelations in the past few days. Among them: U.S. intelligence agencies are, in fact, collecting details on just about every telephone call placed each day in the United States, U.S. officials confirmed. And they’ve been doing it for seven years, a senator added. They’re also monitoring the online activities of at least some overseas customers of Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple and other providers of popular online services. Then on March 6, 2017 Trump is accusing Obama of finding a problem with him during the election. Where he believes that he was getting set up and the general is not willing to say anything about it. He denies everything. But he tries to justify his reasons

There are many ways that it is legal for the government to do it. On law.cornell.edu they say “Electronic surveillance is defined in federal law as the nonconsensual acquisition by an electronic, mechanical, or other surveillance device of the contents of any wire or electronic communication, under circumstances in which a party to the communication has a reasonable expectation of privacy. The “contents” of a communication consists of any information concerning the identity of the parties, or the existence, substance, purport, or meaning of the communication.” The government has the fourth amendment to also back them up. They are more protected and allow to do more behind laws created and the constitution that was made and signed 1788 and 1789. A Fellow 11th grade student at GMHS says that “the government should not be surveilling your cellular devices, because you as an American citizen have a right to privacy.”

By learning how much privacy you have on cellular devices, what has been going on with the FBI or the government on privacy of a cellular device, and their justification of using cellular devices as a surveillance purpose. What do you think the government is doing on your cellular devices now?