Working Teens

Kaya Betlach, Staff Reporter

From the generation that was teenagers in the 90’s to the acting group of teens working, playing, and being in school working is seemingly impossible now due to jumps in extraneous hours of homework. Rarely when speaking to teens do they play a sport (or extracurricular) and work regular hours. Why? There’s a reason of way from the increase in minimum wage to the jump in hours of homework.

Students today are overloaded with hour upon hour of extraneous busy work for homework. When kids today are adding in sports or extracurricular activities, there is little to no time for basic health standards like eating, sleeping, and showering. “ You have your life to work, so don’t rush it. One day a week may be understandable, but summer jobs seem to work best.” Claimed Ms. Oliver, the counselors for the sophomore class. She seems to understand students lack of time when attempting to handle jobs, yet why do so many parents add extreme pressure onto their kids back to do it all?

Some argue as parents that they did it so we can too, but I beg to differ. Changes in our education prove that students shouldn’t be worrying about having time to do it all, and eventually overloading themselves which is proven to do a lot if harm to a developing brain. “I can work one day a week but no one wants to hire a one day a week employee. It’s insanity unless your boss is so understandable which is incredibly hard to find.” Amber Miller, a student here at GMHS argued.

Students can’t simply be expected to do 4 hours of homework, 3 hours of practice, 6 hour of actual school, a suggested 10 hour sleep schedule, say an hour and a half of family time and eating, an hour to shower and get ready every day, 30 minutes of basic cleaning, and with chores on top of it all. That all adds to 27 hours of work in a 24 hour day, and that’s with no job and no travel time. A job only adds to the insanity of teenage schedules for many teens.