Five Ways To Reduce Stress

Pexels

Pexels

Hunter Grogan, Staff Reporter

Nowadays, there seems to more pressures on high school students than ever before with bundles of homework and AP classes to top it all off. It’s no surprise then that high school students are more stressed than ever as well. Not to worry, though, because there is a plethora of stress relief techniques out there. Without further ado, here are five methods to lessen the ever-plaguing anxiety.

Pexels

YOGA

Students may not know this but exercise generate endorphins, which make you feel happier. Once movement in combined with controlled breathing and meditation (to elicit calm reflection) one can easily see why yoga could ease one dealing with stressors with school or the like.

“I really like yoga as stress relief,” states Lori Frisbee, a teacher here at GMHS, “but that’s because I like to get up and move.”

Pexels

READING A BOOK

While many students may not like to read there is something to be said for escaping your own problems from a bit to get enraptured in a good book. Reading forces your mind to focus on the story at hand and not at your own problems. Of course, one shouldn’t just ignore the issue at hand, but giving yourself some time to step back and calm down with a good book can only clear your mind.

Flickr

COMPLETE YOUR HOMEWORK ON TIME

No one wants to be haunted by a zero in the gradebook or a failed class. As such, students should try to complete their homework on time, even if it’s not as good as it can be. It’s always better to be comforted by the fact the task is completed and your grade is protected in some way.

Pexels

LISTENING TO MUSIC

Music can make you feel a variety of emotions – joy, sadness, anger, etc. Much like reading a book, taking a second to listen to your favorite song can calm you down enough to effectively deal with the problem at hand.

“Listening to music really helps me with stress,” states James Buck, a junior at GMHS.

PxHere

GO OUTSIDE

Our changing lifestyles cloisters us ever deep indoors – and that newly formed aversion to the outside may be part of the reason for stress levels. After all, it’s vital for humans to go outside and feel the sun.

According to Healthline.com, sunlight produces serotonin, which can contribute to heightened sense of happiness and lowered levels of anxiety. Not to mention, there are significant benefits aligned with breathing in fresh air. Benenden, which provides private medical coverage, reports that exposing your lungs to fresh air “can relieve stress and anxiety.”

Of course, there are many more ways to reduce one’s anxiety and every person is different. What might reduce one student’s stress may do nothing or worsen the stress of another. However, we should take it upon ourselves to distress less. It’s healthy to worry from time to time, but for many nowadays, anxiety can be almost omnipresent.

Stress is not kind on the body or the mind and we should all strive to be kinder to our bodies and minds.