The Spotlight: Ms. Sereno

Courtesy of Green Mountain High School

Courtesy of Green Mountain High School

Courtesy of Green Mountain High School

Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos, Staff Reporter

In our ongoing series “Meet your Assistant Principals”, we are talking with five of these essential educators and learning what brought them to GMHS, what their roles are, and what they enjoy most about the school.  We will start the series with Ms. Sereno, who has many duties in her position but is probably most well known as the Athletics Director. Staff reporter Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos was able to sit down with her for a few minutes to learn more about this new addition to our school.

Q. How long have you been at GMHS?

A: This is actually my first year at the school so I’ve been here for almost seven months.

Q: How did you get into teaching?

A: I actually didn’t start out wanting to be a teacher.  My path in college was very different. I started with a child psychology focus, and with the classes I was taking, my counsellor said, “Hey, why don’t you think about teaching?” So, I started my path there, and then my content area morphed into physical education and health.  That eventually led to an interest in athletics.

Q: What are your roles and duties as a vice principal?

A: My role is a little unique. Each of us assistant principals share core duties that we need to fulfill like discipline and the everyday flow of the school, but we also each have a special assignment.  In my case, its the Athletics Director. One of the big things for us is evaluating teachers, and making sure that what’s happening in the classroom is good for our students. That our teachers are helping to move our students forward in whatever they choose to do in life.   But also making sure that they are getting the right content across. That’s a part of my job that I really like. Not just evaluating the teachers, but how I can help them get better. It’s not anything other then feedback, such as “maybe try this, or try that” but when I see it make a difference, I know I am contributing.   It kind of gets the competitive side of me going and everything to me in life is competitive! I am a person who is big into sports so the athletic side of my job is perfect for me. As the athletics director, I’m responsible for evaluating the coaching staff, scheduling practices, meets and games. It’s also problem solving, conflict resolution, honestly it’s a lot of things. Really, the job is to make sure that students get the opportunities they want and the programs match the quality of the rest of GMHS.  We are always striving to improve, and I really enjoy helping our coaches get better and have successful programs in any way that I can help.

Q: What is your favorite thing about GMHS?

A: That’s hard because there are so many great things!  I really like the community feel, and how many people want to come to our school for our unique programs, whether it’s our athletic programs, activities, clubs or capstones.  They really want to choose a school that gives them options and to know that everything will be good. There’s that heart that is there, the school spirit. That desire for us to be good as a community, to be better than Lakewood, than D’Evelyn… of course it isn’t even a contest, right (Laughter) We are better!

Q: What is something you enjoy doing in your free time?

A: Wow! In this role I don’t get a whole lot of free time… I don’t know, it kinda depends on the season. I’m really an outdoorsy person. If I could, I would be on the beach as much as possible. But I live in Colorado, and we’re a little landlocked, so that doesn’t happen all the time. So during the summer, I try to get out on the water a little bit, kayaking, and during winter, try to ski, but sadly it doesn’t happen as often as I like it to.

Q: What is one thing that you would like the students to know about you?

A:  Gosh… That’s a tough question.  I guess if there was one thing, it’s that I am in their corner. I’ve got their back! I’ve got their back, especially if they’re making the right decisions, but if they’re not, I’ll still have their back and try to guide them in the right direction.  I’m here for them.

(Thank you so much to Ms. Sereno for willing to be interviewed. We at the newspaper are very thankful and hope that this piece can help students get to know Ms. Sereno as well as all the Assistant Principals better. Thank you for reading!)