The Addams Family: A Review

GMHS Theater

Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos, Staff Reporter

It is springtime at GMHS which can only mean one thing. It’s musical season! And once again, GMHS has produced yet another hit in the form of The Addams Family, a musical based on the popular television series of the same name.
The Saturday evening show was packed, but finding your seat was easy as the cast served as the ushers, which were a great way to see everyone before the performance began. One didn’t have to wait long and soon that catchy tune began, the theme song of The Addams Family, complete with the floating hand (Thing) snapping along with the beat. The curtains opened, and for the next 2 hours or so, the entire audience sat transfixed, staring at the stage as the show drove its course.

To say the least, the GMHS Drama department has produced another hit, In fact, this was the first show since 2015 to sell out both nightly performances! The humor, the drama, and the outright fun of the show made it one of my favorite performances.
Sam Meyer yet again rocked the stage as the amazing Gomez Addams, shocking the crowd with some beautiful singing (with an accent) and amazing swordplay. Maya Martinez, a ninth grader at GMHS, was an inspiration as the matriarch of the family, Morticia Addams, wowing the audience with sassiness and grace that was well beyond her years. Josh Triplett was a show stopper as Fester, his gruff voice and constant breaking of the 4th wall infused humor at all the right times to keep the audience laughing, and he also gets special “points” for shaving his head. The ensemble was a great cast of characters who made their presence felt and really added to the story. And the score and lyrics were not only entertaining, but also had a deeper meaning that many in the audience can appreciate.

What’s even more amazing about the show is the dedication and work these actors must have put into it to make it such a success. From the costumes, to the set, to the band, the commitment from the drama department deserves some serious praise. Hopefully, they will know from the rousing ovation they received at the end, that all that hard work was certainly noticed, and very much appreciated.