The Spotlight: Mr. Craig

Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos, Staff Reporter

In our ongoing series “Meet your Assistant Principals”, we are talking with five of these essential educators and learning what brought them to GMHS, what their roles are, and what they enjoy most about the school.  We will continue the series with Mr. Craig, the assistant principal often considered the head of activities at GMHS. Staff reporter Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos was able to sit down with him for a few minutes to learn more about another new addition to our school.

1. How long have you been at GMHS?

A: I just started at GMHS this school year. This is my eighth month at the school.

Q: How did you get into teaching?

A: At the start, I wanted to teach high school math. I find that this is a hard subject for people, so I wanted to make math easier for those who had a little more trouble with the subject. Specifically, I taught any subject from Algebra One to Pre-Calculus at Chaparral High School. I taught at CHS for around six years.

Q: What are your roles and duties as a vice principal?

A:  One of my main duties as Assistant Principal is assessment. This includes SAT, MAP, and CMAS. This year, I am also the Activities Director. With activities, one of my roles is being the supervisor of sponsors of any club. If students want any type of club, we are here for them and they can get that club started. I also work with the Ram Council, EPC and other student-lead administrative clubs to help oversee sponsors and provide what’s necessary to all clubs.

Q: What is your favorite thing about GMHS?

A: I have to say that my favorite thing about GMHS is the students that go here. I believe that our students are amazing, very involved in school, and willing to take leadership roles and help make this school a better place. As the Activities Director, I have seen many clubs where students are taking the initiative and I think that this is something that is amazing and interesting.

Q: What is something you enjoy doing in your free time?

A: I really enjoy running and being active in my free time. I don’t always make time for running, but for me, it is a de-stressor and can really help me calm down. It is good exercise as well as a good calm atmosphere.

Q: What is one thing that you would like the students to know about you?

A:  I would have to say that one thing that students should know about me is that I’m approachable! If students are having issues, I would hope that they would be able to come to me and talk about any issue they have, big or small. I also hope that they can use me as someone they can trust, knowing that I am in their corner no matter what. I’m not just an Assistant Principal, but also a person who cares about them and their future, and I want students to know that.

(Thank you so much to Mr. Craig for willing to be interviewed. We at the newspaper are very thankful and hope that this piece can help students get to know Mr. Craig as well as all the Assistant Principals. Thank you for reading!)

About the Contributor
Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos, Managing Editor
Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos is a sophmore at Green Mountain High School and it is his first year as Managing Editor. He can be found outside running, biking, or swimming, and inside writing his next story.