How to Cope with Stress

Avery Unbehagen, Staff Reporter

With finals and AP Exams right around the corner, students everywhere are feeling the pressure. Ask any high school student, especially the juniors, and they’ll tell you how much pressure they are under to do well on each and every one of the tests getting thrown at them. In an attempt to finish the units, teachers are giving tests and quizzes at every turn. Not to mention the AP Exams in just a few short weeks.

But there are many amazing ways to cope with the stress of all these tests. Ms. Blackburn offered a very helpful and easy-to-use tip: “When we breathe through our nose, it taps into our parasympathetic nervous system and helps us calm down, as well as to help calm down your amygdala, which is in charge of your fight-or-flight response. . . and the more that you do [this], the more that your brain gets trained to actually function in that way.” When using this technique, be sure to take deep breaths through the nose, not the mouth.

A senior who wishes to remain anonymous shared that he prefers to meditate and use grounding techniques. He also warned that if you would like to attempt meditating, to not give up if it doesn’t work right away, that just like anything else, it requires practice. He shared a technique that he found online to help keep himself grounded when he gets test anxiety: find five things you can see, four things you can feel, three things you can hear, two things you can smell, and one thing you can taste.

As Ms. Blackburn explained: “It’s also individual. You have to find something that you enjoy doing and are going to do, and make it part of your daily routine. Just because yoga works for me, doesn’t mean that it’s going to work for everybody, kickboxing works for some people.”

Not every technique works for every person, but there is one technique that works for no one, and that’s giving up. These techniques require practice and persistence for them to have their full effect. So next time you get stressed out, try one of these easy exercises, then keep doing it until you get the best results you can imagine, because they will come.