Creating A Paper Newspaper

Back to Article
Back to Article

Creating A Paper Newspaper

Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos, Managing Editor

School newspapers are often at the epicenter of a school’s image. The idea of searching for information, finding leads on stories, and providing commentary on the school has been captivating for many since schools started to publish newspapers. Sadly, this medium for student opinion has slowly been dying along with the rest of the newspaper industry. Many schools haven’t published a paper edition of a newspaper in years, and Green Mountain High School was no different. In early 2009, the last edition of The Ram Page would go to press before the newspaper would transfer completely online. The newspaper would fall into obscurity soon after, becoming a small glimmer of what it once was.

Fast forward to 2019. The Ram Page is still completely internet run, and the staff is down to only a few members. The internet age has fully dawned, and while some would think that people would at least look up The Ram Page online, viewership had actually gone down. And then, an idea came out: What if people would actually want to read a paper edition? And the process began in earnest. Using online applications, the first step was to design a newspaper that could be sent to print. After gathering all the articles, submissions, photos, and artwork, everything was placed into a custom template and edited to look polished. Finally, the work was sent to a printing company. A thousand copies later, and The Ram Page is back on paper.

This of course required quite a large amount of work and was not possible without the efforts of the Newspaper staff. Writers Blythe Hattenbach, Avery Unbehagen, Rylee Matson, Editor in Chief Ali’a Keliiholokai, and teacher-sponsor Mr. Gallagher all made large contributions and helped bring this paper back to life. If you see a copy of The Ram Page in class, pick one up, as we here at The Ram Page believe you won’t regret it.