GM DECA: DU Invitational

Back to Article
Back to Article

GM DECA: DU Invitational

Raniya Digankar, Staff Reporter

GM DECA attended the DU Invitational on October 10th and had a great experience (along with great performances!). The DU Invite is a DECA competition, hosted by Monarch High School, and held at the University of Denver. This was the third year that DU hosted the invitational, and the students’ passion for the activity shone through,  the highest number of students competing at the competition ever. In addition to the usual 100-question test and role-playing activity, DU required students to attend at least one of the various workshops and seminars presented by the Daniels School of Business, which includes campus tours and lectures. Although the weather didn’t cooperate well that day, GM DECA managed to reach the campus on time and make the most of the opportunity.

GM DECA had three winners in Rachel Warren and Lauren McIntyre (who competed as a team) and Nick Fox. Fox got third place in the Entrepreneurship category, while Warren and McIntyre got third place in the Business Law and Ethics category. I spoke with one of the winners, Rachel Warren, about her first experience in DECA. She stated, “The DU DECA Invitational was my first time competing in DECA and my experience was awesome. I had so much fun! My partner (Lauren McIntyre) and I placed third in the Business Law and Ethics category, and it was exciting to see all of our business class knowledge and hard work pay off. Getting to hang out with everyone from Green Mountain and participate in seminars led by DU business teachers really contributed to the positive experience and atmosphere at the DU DECA competition.”

GM DECA is going to attend its third invitational, Beaver Creek, on October 27/28 and the CSU invitational on the 30th. DECA has been going really well so far and hopefully, we see a handful of winners in the upcoming invitationals and at the District competition!