GMHS Clubs: Behind the Scenes

Back to Article
Back to Article

GMHS Clubs: Behind the Scenes

Madeline Spragins and Raniya Digankar

In part two of their series on all 26 clubs at GMHS, reporters Madeline Spragins and Raniya Digankar introduce us to National Honors Society, National Art Honors Society, Newspaper, and the GMHS Book Club in this week’s piece.

We begin this week’s edition with the student newspaper at GMHS, which is an easy and fun way to earn class credit. Meetings take place every Thursday after school and last 30 minutes to an hour. When a reporter first joins Newspaper, an account is set up on SNO sites for them where they will submit all of their articles for editing and publishing. Articles are due every two weeks on the Wednesday before the meeting, and they can cover almost any topic from school events to politics to creative writing. They must be a minimum length of 300 words, but many end up being more (And Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos, the Editor-in-Chief of Newspaper, isn’t counting). Although the club does require a commitment, it is never too difficult to follow through. Overall, Newspaper is a fun way to express your creativity and opinions on various events and display them on the Ram Page for other students or parents to read.

NHS – National Honor Society – is a club at GMHS that really shines on any resume. The Green Mountain High School Chapter of the National Honor Society strives to uphold the four pillars of the NHS: scholarship, service, leadership, and character by demonstrating excellence through their actions both in the classroom and in the community. NHS members are required to log 15 volunteer hours per semester. Hours can be obtained by participating in any volunteering opportunity at GM or the community. Also, if a student is a part of several GM clubs such as EPC, ALST, and NHS, many hours can be interchanged. For example, tutoring at Foothills Elementary can be used as volunteering hours in all three clubs. Overall, NHS is a fun club that helps to improve your leadership skills and gain you several community service hours that will prove beneficial in the long run.

National Art Honors Society (NAHS) is all about art! The club provides a fun way to meet new, creative people, to try new things, and display finished art pieces. In the words of Shelbee Austin, a member of the club, NAHS is “a great club, sponsored by Mrs. Frisbee, where students can enjoy showing off their artwork, making new artistic friends, and working on art! We love to talk about art as well as playing with new/different techniques through different crafts. We explore art in many different ways and welcome everyone who loves art whether it be drawing/painting, graphic design, or photography. We’re really an artistic community that comes together to learn and have fun!”

The GMHS Book Club is a club made for all students and staff that love reading! They meet every other Wednesday for lunch. Each month, the members choose a book to read and discuss characters, plot, and just general reading. So far, the GMHS Book club has read: H20 by Virginia Begin, The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black, and The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken. They also have a hand in making recommendations to the library of which books (current, new releases) to order for the library collection. Overall, the GMHS Book Club is a wonderful club to join if you love to hang out and chat about books.