COVID-19 in Colorado

Viktor Forgacs

Emilie Matthews, Staff Reporter

With over 1,000 confirmed cases in the United States, some of which are in Colorado, the country is preparing itself for the rapid spread of COVID-19, also known as the Coronavirus. This deadly illness has spread all over the globe, having the largest effect in Asia and Europe. From a crashing stock market to empty shelves of soap and hand-sanitizer, and even to the complete lockdown of Italy, the effects of COVID-19 have been drastic. Recently, this global epidemic has become more local, and as of March 10, there were 17 presumptive cases in Colorado, most of which are in the Denver-Metro area. With the Coronavirus right in our back yard, some may be wondering how they can prevent getting the illness and what Jefferson county plans on doing if the illness reaches our schools.

According to the New York Times, there are many ways to help prevent getting COVID-19. Washing your hands, using alcohol-based hand sanitizers, and avoiding touching your face are all good ways to help reduce the chances of getting and/or spreading the Coronavirus. The main piece of advice offered by the New York Times is not to panic: “While the outbreak is a serious public health concern, the majority of those who contract the coronavirus do not become seriously ill, and only a small percentage require intensive care.”

On February 26, days before any cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Colorado, Jefferson County Public Schools released a statement detailing what they are doing to prepare for the virus. Outside coordinating with local public health agencies, Jefferson County Public Schools has only warned people about the virus and ways to prevent it. Along with the 17 cases in Colorado, some Denver schools have students under quarantine and have closed early because of the virus.

Staying up to date with news about the virus, disinfecting your belongings, and carrying around hand sanitizer are all good ways to prepare yourselves for the possible further spread of COVID-19 or the Coronavirus.