Remote Learning

Remote+Learning

Raniya Digankar, Staff Reporter

This school year, Green Mountain High School has both hybrid and remote students. While the hybrid students are able to voice their opinions on their experiences in class to their teachers, the remote students have been unable to get the same spotlight. Being a remote-only student is difficult, challenging, and overwhelming. For starters, their biggest disadvantage is missing all of the experiences. This article will focus on Emma Schubitzke’s and my own experience as Seniors and full-time remote students. During your senior year, you are supposed to get all of these memorable experiences that may seem tiny to others but are huge to all of us seniors. We have all worked 12 years to earn our class photo, our last high school dances, even standing in the front of the bleachers for football games and other sporting events that we would usually be able to attend and enjoy. Schubitzke described how not being able to sit in class with her friends, laughing, talking, catching up on the simple things has had an impact on her this year, along with not seeing her favorite teachers every morning or getting greeted by CeCe, even not being able to stand in the bustling or crowded commons trying to find her friends. This year has proved to bring several difficulties with it, especially for all of us remote students.

With remote learning, classes have been completely split in two. Teachers have half their students present physically in class, and half online through Google Meets or Zoom. This makes it difficult for some teachers to balance both sets of kids. Schubitzke said, “I feel that there are few teachers that have taken a focus on only the in person class, instead of the online. I do understand that it is difficult to try to balance all the kids, even when half of them aren’t there, but it tends to make the online kids feel like they just are falling behind and not getting that same attention.” I agree with her, and this was even a topic discussed in our Ram Council meeting with Mrs. Owens last week. Several remote students do believe that a few teachers are doing a really good job of balancing both sets of students, like constantly checking in with students throughout class, and overall just trying to get everyone involved. After all, we really do appreciate being included in class even if we aren’t able to be physically present.

All in all, remote learning is definitely not something that Schubitzke, I, or probably every single remote student ever expected or were prepared to experience. There have been and still are several obstacles and challenges that we need to overcome. However, as remote students, we understand that it hasn’t been the smoothest transition for teachers as well. Despite all of the disadvantages, we are grateful to still be able to attend school and learn from our wonderful teachers on a daily basis. With a few improvements here and there, Green Mountain High School will be able to overcome everything as long as we stick together!