Tips for Finals Week

Presley Nemecek, Staff Reporter/Social Media Manager

This is the final school week of 2021. The first semester that is somewhat normal since the beginning of the pandemic. For a lot of students, this their first normal final in two years. No cheating. No quick access to Google. Typical tests. A challenging change of pace for most. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to help you make it through this last week of school and finals. 

The first, and most important, is to know your finals schedule. This year is a little untraditional. In previous years, the finals schedule would have been over Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Since Christmas falls on a Saturday, the schedule has shifted. Periods 1-3 will be held on Friday the 17th, 4 and 5 on Monday the 20th, and 6 and 7 on Tuesday the 21st. It is important to note your upcoming schedule and plan accordingly. Break up your study times and prioritize the tests you will take first. 

Another quick tip is to plan your study time. This includes how you will study, where you will be, and who you will be with. There are many studying strategies. Choose what works for you. Examples of possible study strategies include creating your own study guide/following one the teacher provides, Quizlet flashcards, writing summaries of units/content, highlighting, reciting what you read verbally, etc. Do what works best for you. A way to help you stay focused as you study is to change where you study. Being in one place can be redundant and boring. Move around and change your location to keep your mind active. The Green Mountain Library is a great study space and even has NHS tutors available to help during access and lunch up until the 16th! 

During this stressful time, remember to take care of yourself. There is no succeeding if you are not completely here. A way to stay on top of your studies and your self care is to eat right and get plenty of sleep. As hard as that is for some students, try to get 7-8 hours of sleep. This will help energize you throughout the day. Try to also eat regularly to help fuel your brain. Some quick snacks that help keep your stomach from growling in a silent testing room are nuts, trail mix, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit, cheese and crackers, and meat sticks. Prioritize your health no matter how stressed you are. You will do better with more sleep, than less sleep and more studying. 

Students, you are almost past the finish line. Hold in there and try your best on your finals. Break is coming soon.